Over the course of running Naija Nomads, my perception of Lagos has changed a great deal. As an adrenaline junkie, I was constantly seeking an activity to satisfy my addiction. I complained to people about the limited fun options we had in Lagos and how all everyone did was going for wedding, to the movies, clubbing or going to watch a movie. Not that there is anything wrong with these things, it just gets monotonous and BORING! You also know what they say about too much of everything.
What Madonna said is true “you only see what your eyes wants to see”. A few months after launching my travel page, I began to “see” alternative (outside the norm) fun activities to do in Lagos and I often get contacted to help promote and refer my audience to their locations or sites. I had written a similar post here for baecation ideas and I’ll try to update the list from time to time. So here is Naija Nomads redirecting your focus to alternative things to do in Lagos:
1. SECRET CINEMA : This is an outdoor cinema company organizes MovieNics (Movies + Picnics) in various locations around Lagos for N1,000. All you need do is bring a bottle, food and a blanket! This is definitely a fun alternative to going to a regular cinema and you can get in touch with them on Instagram-@secretcinemalagos or 07069117347. They also have private rentals available.
2. SOCIAL PAINTING: I have tried this twice and I had a great time! Social Painting requires no artistic skill or creativity as there is an instructor to guide you every step of the way. It’s a perfect way to relax after a stressful work day. Two companies offer this service at the moment, Paint The Night Africa ( 08181377439) and Cocktails and Craft Nigeria (08128687297). You can also hire them for private paint parties.
3. ROLLER SKATING: When I found D-cube roller skating rink on the internet, I was so excited. Located at the Funderland Mall, 16-18, Lekki-Epe Expressway, Lagos, this first of its kind roller skating rink is and you pay a fee to use their facilities. The fee covers skate rentals, skate mate, instructions and some protective gear.
4 KAYAKING: Kayaking in Lagos is relatively new and everyone seems to have caught the bug. It’s really refreshing and your upper body is in for a work out. Ditch the gym one Saturday morning and go kayaking instead. You can book your sessions via firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. SCUBA DIVING: Scuba Lagos got registered an official PADI Dive Resort on 10th August, 2016. It’s the first dive resort in Nigeria and they take diving lessons. Interested? Check out their website www.scubalagos.com or contact email@example.com
6. PAINT BALL/BUBBLE SOCCER: Looking for team bonding activities, Nigeria ultimate paintball at Magodo is the perfect place to go. The facility houses a paint ball arena and offers bubble soccer. I really can’t wait to try bubble soccer.
7. SURFING: I discovered Godspower on CNN African voices and I couldn’t contain my excitement when I watched his interview. He is a man with big dreams and has opened up a surfing school for people interested in surfing to learn. He offers surfing classes at takwa bay for N7,000 and his contact details are 07065825570 or @gpsurfing (Instagram)
8. FISHING TRIP: Fishing requires great patience and if you do not have this virtue then it’s best not to trying this. Big fishing game Lagos will take you to the south of Lagos, maximum 20 miles off shore, for a full day fishing adventure. The adventure includes fishing rods and bait, lunch and refreshments and room for a maximum of 4 riders.
For more information contact Captain Fabio Beccarelli on firstname.lastname@example.org
9. VISIT THE AQUARIUM: the aquarium gallery at Olosa street in Victoria island is the perfect place for lovers of sea life. The aquarium houses various type of fishes, birds and turtles. It’s also a great place to take your kids.
10. SPEND THE NIGHT AT CABIN: I discovered this cabin on my last trip to takwa bay. If you are looking for an outdoor experience, this is definitely the perfect place for you. I have never slept in a cabin and I cant wait to try this out. This is on our calendar for next year so watch out for that!
11. ELEKO MOTOR RACE: For Nomads into high energy activities, you’re in luck! There is an event scheduled for 17th December, 2016 at Eleko Beach. This race will cover 26 kilometers of hand selected back roads of 6 special stages of off-road rallying. Eleko Motor Race will take place at the Eleko beach and the event is free for viewers/spectators. To enter the rally race as a participant there is an entry fee of N25,000. Visit www.elekomotorace.com for more information.